Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Colossus of Pen and Ink




I was infinitely lucky. In my childhood a weekly magazine published "Rip Kirby" and another "Flash Gordon". Week after week I was regaled with beauties of these kind.
Alex Raymond (1909-1956) was possibly the most elegant cartoonist ever lived. His work could be compared favourably with the work of John Singer Sargent or Giovanni Boldini.
When I was a young art student there were the "Pro Cannif" (Pratt, Breccia) and the "Pro Raymond" ( Alfredo Del Castillo, Daniel Haupt)...I could never quarrel with anybody because I admire them both, but I may have to admit that even if Cannif was one of the greatest comics narrator ever, Raymond was the superior draughtsman.

10 Comments:

Anonymous ed said...

probablemente el chet baker del comic aquél.

12:27 pm  
Blogger Ceu D'Ellia said...

Raymond rocks!
I pretty much admire Paul Gillon, a French artist which work was influenced by Alex. "Les Naufrages du Temps" is among the best BD drawings I ever saw.

1:21 pm  
Blogger Jack Snider said...

Yes, I agree. Al Williamson is great also in the same way. I like Breccia as well.

4:18 pm  
Blogger Diego A. Parés said...

Traducción, traducción!!!!

Que bestia de presición este Raymond.
Es cierto lo que decís sobre la diferencia entre Caniff y el.

4:43 pm  
Blogger diego molina said...

Que monstruito que era, impresionante

5:49 pm  
Blogger Vince M said...

I've always loved Alex Raymond, Oscar. Especially his Rip Kirby strip. So imagine my happiness when I saw the new book:"Rip Kirby: Volume One" at my local bookstore! Published by IDW and edited by Dean Mullaney.

I hope you're doing well.

3:08 am  
Blogger ariel tenorio said...

un groso con la tinta este tio

4:08 am  
Blogger Pablo Espasandin said...

Rip kirby, que capo XD, yo tengo Flash Gordon, es buenísimo

1:42 am  
Blogger Tinta Cruel said...

EN LA HISTORIETA EL DIBUJO DEBE ESTAR EN FUNCION DEL RELATO, EL VIRTUOSISMO DE RAYMOND ES INNEGABLE, CREO QUE EN RIP KIRBY EL USO DE LA LUZ PARA DAR CLIMA ES UN TANTO "CANIFFQUIANO"
¿PODRÍAMOS DECIR QUE EL EQUILIBRIO ENTRE DIBUJO Y RELATO LO TIENEN LA OBRA DE PRATT? SI PODEMOS DECIRLO EN FIN , SON MISTERIOSO LOS CAMINOS D ELA TINTA CHINA

11:56 am  
Blogger max said...

Oh yeah! Flash Gordon has been a steady reference for me when inking comix.

4:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home